Sunday, March 21, 2010

Happy Sunday...

I woke up this morning and went for a 12 mile run with my running group... I feel great. It is so much better to run with other people, the time just flies by. I feel like I am ready for the half marathon in May... then when I am done with that I want to start training for a full marathon.

I had a good weekend hanging out with family and trying new recipes, which I would post pictures of but my camera is dead at the moment so I will do it tomorrow. I made sesame snap cookies from Ani Phyo's dessert book and  citrus "cheese"cake tarts. I'll post recipe with pictures soon.

I joined a fabulous group of supportive raw foodies at this site... Raw Food Rehab. Awesome people, recipes, motivation and more. Check it out!

Averie of Loves Veggies and Yoga (my favorite blog to read) is having a giveaway. Check it out here http://www.loveveggiesandyoga.com/

I bought a couple fruit trees over the weekend, a fig and dwarf peach. I got them planted and hope they do well. I am excited to have my own garden this year! Do you grow any of your own veggies?

I also finished my first batch of feremented veggies. I got the motivation to try this from the twins at pure2raw and am so glad I tried it, they are really good and great for you. Here is what I did...

First I shredded several carrots and sprinkled with salt...



Then I shredded cabbage and sprinkled with salt...



Then I squished it all together with my hands for several minutes to break down the cell walls in the veggies and get them to release their juices...


After there was a bunch of juice in the bowl and the veggies had broken down I stuffed a glass jar full of the mixture...



Then I put the special air lock lid on which helps to prevent mold from growing (you don't have to do this... you can just cover with a lid but check daily for any mold growing and remove it if you see some... the veggies are still okay.)



I popped it in the pantry to ferment for three days checking every day to make sure the veggies were covered with the juices. They taste great now after three days but I am going to wait until tomorrow to get them a little softer, then I will store them in the fridge. YUM!

1 comment:

  1. The kimchee looks amazing..so colorful and beautiful!! thanks for the contest linky love and your entries, have a lovely day, sarah!!!
    xoxo
    p.s. would you ever consider taking off word verif? if not i totally understand, just asking to save a step :)

    ReplyDelete